The Estonian Children’s Literature Centre is a vital institution for subject-based information in the field of children’s literature. It’s history dates back to 1933, although today’s Centre was established on the 1st December 1997 as the legal successor of the Estonian Children’s Library.
The Centre collects, preserves, and offers the opportunity to engage with childrens’s and youth literature for all enthusiasts as part of Estonia’s cultural heritage. Its mission is to support a variety of initiatives, including research, education and entertainment.
Through our lovely and creative building and the activities held here, we convey to visitors the story of children’s books from past to present, guide children towards reading and teach individuals to appreciate literature and books.
The mascot of our Centre is Nukitsamees, a beloved character from a children`s story of the same title by Oskar Luts, one of Estonia’s most beloved authors.
The Centre’s Activities
- We collect and preserve Estonian-language and Estonian-published children’s books and magazines, world children’s literature classics and awarded works in their original languages, reference works on the field of children’s literature, monographs and magazines, in addition to illustrators’ original works.
- We offer reading material primarily for children up to the age of 16 and serve all children’s literature enthusiasts in our children’s library.
- We compile and administrate children’s literature databases and e-catalogues, coordinate cooperation with researchers of children’s literature, convey information for professionals in the field as well as other enthusiasts, organise seminars and information days and publish works on children’s literature.
- We promote children’s literature at home and abroad, initiate literary projects, organise illustration exhibitions and participate in large-scale literature events and international book fairs.
- We encourage and commend the creators and mediators of children’s literature: children’s writers, illustrators, publishers, researchers, teachers and librarians. Furthermore, we endeavour to coordinate and support their cooperation.
- We organise national undertakings for children, which are associated with literature and books, in addition to arranging literary activities and events.
- In our building, we offer cultural experiences for our guests: exhibitions, concerts, performances, literary events, etc.